Monday, May 12, 2008

i fell in love with a girl


It was mine and Michael's first Popklubb experience on Saturday night, we've arrived at the party late , seeing as it has been going since 2006. The venue is really nice, not sure but it must be some sort of working mens club , a really nice big hall, it had to be for the amount of people who turned up. The live music was provided by one of my favourite Swedish bands A Smile And A Ribbon, they played a storming set. Quite a few new songs I'd not heard before but I wanted to hear again straight away, like Sweet Sixteen. There were six in the band this time as they were joined by a saxophonist who embellished some of the songs beautifully , especially when he picked up the flute. He did have a flute didn't he? They also feature on guitar my joint favourite blogger Kris from Heaven Is Above Your Head, it seems such a long time since someone has wrote so enthusiastically about the music that they love. Kris told me that not all of the band are into indie music and infact the drummer is a guitarist in a hardcore thrash band. They all wore Black Flag t-shirts at the gig before this one.

Just before they played their last song The Boy I Wish I Never Met, Kris dedicated a song to an old band called Bulldozer Crash, which made me smile a lot. The rest of the band as well as the crowd looked puzzled and bemused as I think only me and Kris had heard of them, still it made my night as I've not had a song played for me since the Love Parade gigs all those years ago.

I also fell love (again!) on Saturday night, she had the nicest smile I have seen, no really she did, she danced nearly all night with her friend and her friends boyfriend, but I just sat, cos I can't dance for toffee, anyone know of anywhere I can I get indie dance lessons in the north east? I guess it goes without saying that of course I didn't even talk to her, I don't even think she noticed I was there. She might be at Jens Lekman tomorrow night, fingers crossed!(She wasn't but her friend and boyfriend were) Not that I'll speak to her then either. Dear me, I'm sounding like a daft teenager instead of a forty year old, ahhh... so fuck!

No comments: