Saturday, May 17, 2008

apples are good

I am forever downloading songs from other peoples blogs so I thought it only fair that I start and do a few play lists myself. I've been bringing in the odd crate or two of my 7"s out of the garage and these songs are the ones that caught my eye and needed to be played. They are all a bit crackly as in their time they were played quite a lot and it seems I didn't look after them as I thought I had. No real theme to them but I have noticed quite a few scottish and north east connections.


Speak to me Rochelle
always reminded me of Orange Juice. Oranges and Lemons is from the Prescriptions one and only 7", it is an organ led garage theme from 1960's Hartlepool. For some time Jesse Garon and the Desperadoes were one my favourite bands and The Adam Faith Experience was one in a line of perfect singles. Me and Michael were just talking about Prefab Sprout the other night on the way to the Jens Lekman gig at the Cluny so Lions in my own garden (exit someone) needed a play. Freak Storm was (i think?)the first Hellfire Sermons single, I've just ordered their compilation CD from Bus Stop I wish it was here now. Make It Better was co-written by Terry Gibson who I put my first gig on with. I wish there was a Gravy Train compilation I could order from Bus Stop or any label come to that. Honey Trap were a band that I saw at the Broken Doll and I seem to remember their music reminded me of Felt, Make Me Happy has guitars that could almost be from Poem of River, Riding the Equator in particular. Cincinnati brings to mind Strawberry Wine MBV ,even though I can't remember thinking that at the time. I Remember Caroline is from a test pressing of Watercolour 3 (was it ever properly released?) it sounds a little warped and has some terrible surface noise, sorry. Ain't That Always The Way, I've got a tape of Paul Quinn and Edwyn doing this and Pale Blue Eyes live on radio one but I've no idea where I might find that. I love the way they released Little Things even though Terry Hall is pissing his back off and swearing halfway though.



1. Speak To Me Rochelle / The Desert Wolves 2:27
2. Oranges And Lemons / The Prescriptions 3:20
3. The Adam Faith Experience / Jesse Garon and The Desperadoes 3:06
4. Lions In My Own Garden (Exit Someone) / Prefab Sprout 2:35
5. Freak Storm / Hellfire Sermons 3:33
6. Make It Better / The Gravy Train 3:38
7. Make Me Happy / Honeytrap 2:38
8. Cincinnati / Holidaymakers 2:26
9. I Remember Caroline / The Sweetest Ache 3:04
10. Ain't That Always The Way / Paul Quinn 3:07
11. Little Things / The Colourfield

download apples are good

1 comment:

NOISEBOX said...

we got the same taste in music. i got desert wolves and paul quinn collection on my blog:

http://noiseboxmusiccollection.blogspot.com/