Monday, April 25, 2011

your technique it leaves me weak, my heart knows it's the beat I seek

      
As much as I like indie music I do like other pop songs as well. I've recently been revisiting my 7" vinyl collection and here's a few that kind of go together, well in my mind they do. Rather than just put up the songs and nothing else here are some meaningless words about them. . . . Joboxers weren't they made up from ex-members of Subway Sect? The b-side of this one was co-written by Vic Goddard. Won't Turn Back was recommeded to me by Malcolm from the Gravy Train a long time ago,  The Vapours always reminded me of the Jam especially this song, Time UK featured Rick Buckler, The Redskins had a few classic 7"s, it was between this one and Lean On Me. The Faith Brothers were from around the same time, I hope some these songs seem quite apt at this moment in time. Does any one write protest songs with good tunes any more? Robert Lloyd with a song that should have been a hit, I know I say it all the time about songs that I think are great but most of these could have or should have been.  Microdisney's was, I'm nearly certain a video for it was on the chart show. Squire another band that were almost the Jam or maybe wanted to be the Who, like The Moment did, I had an LP by them but it's long since gone. Boys Wonder had all the style and a tune to excite and a Sid James sample, I'm sure some indie band did that before them. The Gents another Mod band who once played at Newton Aycliffe Youth Center, I missed it but I work with the person who organised it when he was only 14. The Big Sound Authority were one of Weller's discoveries and a good one at that. The Mari Wilson song is a b-side and it sounds that good. The Small Town Parade were another Paul Bevoir band. Quite a modish collection at times, so to finish it off , little bit of 'plastic punk' from the Leyton Buzzards who eventually turned into Modern Romance.

1. just got lucky / the joboxers
2. won’t turn back /vic goddard   
3. news at ten / the vapours   
4. playground of privelige / time uk
5. keep on keeping on / the redskins
6. the country of the blind / the faith brothers
7. something nice / robert lloyd and new four seasons
8. town to town / microdisney
9. does stephanie know? / squire   
10. 1, 2, they fly / the moment
11. goodbye jimmy dean / boys wonder   
12. new direction / the gents..   
13. this house / big sound authority
14. you look so good / mari wilson
15. sunday way of life / small town parade   
16. hanging around / the leyton buzzards

I guess I'll never be a popklubb d.j.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see Squire - Does Stephanie Know on your list!
Fantastic song with Kirsty MacColl singing all the harmonies as well.

stephen said...

This must have been one of her earliest appearances on record.

jessel said...

Great stuff, Stephen!
I am still occassionally listening to Michele Flunkie Vinyl (1) and a CDR is always in the vehicle...for emergency POP listening! Thanks!

Jessel