Wednesday, May 21, 2003

we were happier than either of us knew

Since I 'retired' from writing my fanzine every now and again a gem of a song would come to my attention and I'd think I would definately have to write some words about it so maybe some other people would fall in love with it too, well this is one of them.....I know this record has been out for some time now but maybe there are still some folks in the world who have yet to have the pleasure of falling hook, line and sinker for the lucksmiths ""requiem for the punters club" on matinée. If your one of those poor unfortunate souls please think of this as a gentle push and shove in the direction of a love at first sight. I had heard some of the bands earlier released stuff on matinée and if anyone was to tie me up and force me to pick one I would have to admit that the lucksmiths were probably my favourite band on the label. The songs I had already heard brought images of singing on porches under dusty australian sunsets into my mind the same way songs by the Sugargliders used to, I guess it's the sound of those gorgeous acoustic guitars and the way they sound so laidback , even on the faster songs. Well "requiem for the punters club" is like that too, starting kinda slowly with a tune that I actually remember wanting to sing the very first time I heard it even though I didn't have a clue what to sing. Sometimes I wish I could play harmonica especially something as sad and yearning as the harmonica solo in the middle of this . For me though the greatest part of the song is saved for the end where everyone joins in for a one of those inpirational singalongs, you know the type I mean? Like at the end of arab strap's "hey!fever" , another song I would have written about if I'd still be a fanzine writer at the time it came out, that drum machine beat, scottish hip-hip vocals,hammond organ and finally that everyone join in at the end finale...."went out for the weekend , it lasted forever, got high with my firends ..it's officially summer".


No comments: